skip to main content

Crime victim appeal

Crime victim claims

A claim for crime victim compensation begins with an application for benefits filed with the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). If you disagree with a decision made by L&I, you should do one of the following:

  • File a protest and request for reconsideration with L&I


  • File an appeal with the BIIA

Do not file a protest with L&I if you are filing an appeal with the BIIA.

Crime victim appeals

You must file an appeal within 90 days of the date you receive L&I’s decision.  Your appeal should include:

  • Your name and address
  • L&I claim number
  • Date of the L&I decision being appealed
  • County in which you would like proceedings to be held
  • What you are asking for

File online

You can file a workers’ compensation appeal on our website at:

File in person, by mail, or by fax

Please send your appeal to:

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
2430 Chandler Court SW
PO Box 42401
Olympia WA 98504-2401
FAX: 360-586-5611, outside Olympia: 855-586-5611