skip to main content

Workers' compensation appeal

Workers’ compensation claim

A claim for workers’ compensation begins when an injured worker files an application for benefits with the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) or a self-insured employer.  If you disagree with a decision made by L&I, you should do one of the following:

  • File a protest and request for reconsideration with L&I


  • File an appeal with the BIIA

Do not file a protest with L&I if you are filing an appeal with the BIIA.

If you disagree with a decision made by a self-insured employer, file a protest with L&I.

Workers’ compensation appeals

Generally, you must file an appeal with the BIIA within 60 DAYS of receiving L&I's decision, or as little as 20 days if L&I is demanding repayment of sums paid to a provider. Please refer to the L&I order for specific deadlines and additional information. Your appeal should include:

  • Name and address of the injured worker
  • Name and address of the employer
  • L&I claim number
  • Date of injury or occupational disease
  • Date of the L&I decision being appealed
  • County in which you would like proceedings to be held
  • What you are asking for

File online

You can file a workers’ compensation appeal on our website at:

File in person, by mail, or by fax

Please send your appeal to:

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
2430 Chandler Court SW
PO Box 42401
Olympia WA 98504-2401
FAX: 360-586-5611, outside Olympia: 855-586-5611