skip to main content

Employer premium appeal

Employer Premium Assessment

The Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) makes decisions about the amount of workers’ compensation premiums employers must pay. If you disagree with a decision made by L&I, you should do one of the following:

  • File a protest and request for reconsideration with L&I


  • File an appeal with the BIIA

Do not file a protest with L&I if you are filing an appeal with the BIIA.

Assessment appeals

You must file an appeal within:

  • 30 days of the date you receive a Notice and Order of Assessment (NOA)
  • 60 days of the date you receive a Revocation of Coverage, Classification Change, or Rate Notice

Your appeal should include:

  • Name and address of the firm being assessed
  • Firm number assigned by L&I
  • Notice and Order of Assessment number, if applicable
  • Date of the L&I decision being appealed
  • What you are asking for

File online

You can file an employer premium appeal on our website at:

File in person, by mail, or by fax

Please send your appeal to:

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
2430 Chandler Court SW
PO Box 42401
Olympia WA 98504-2401
FAX: 360-586-5611, outside Olympia: 855-586-5611